WEEK 12 :  Self-Reliance & Microcredit

 

Main Ideas and Topics of the Week:

This week we learned about self-reliance and microcredit.  We focused on the fact that self-reliance has the ability to eliminate poverty.  

We learned that there are three beliefs and  perspectives lay the groundwork for self-reliance. First individuals must have a moral sense of responsibility for their own well-being. Providing for oneself and one's family. Responsibility touches our deepest sense of right and wrong. Responsibility provides the fuel that energizes people to move out of poverty.  Second, self-reliant individuals possess the psychological trait known as self-efficacy or the belief that they can do things, even new things and very hard things. 

Third, self-reliant people will have a long-term perspective that means they honor and respect the past and understand the importance of their individual and cultural heritage. More importantly a long-term perspective helps people look forward toward a future beyond their immediate needs, to act for today and tomorrow, for next week, and next year. 

 

Reflection:

This week we watched a video of Muhammad Yunus comparing the poor to a Bonsi Tree.  He suggests that just as a Bonsi Tree is restricted in its environment and thus only grows to a condensed size, and it is the same for the poor.  “Simply society never gave them the space and never gave them the base on which to grow. If you had the base for them as wide as anybody else they will grow as tall as anybody else no fault of the person.”

Growing up poor, I understand what Mr. Yunus is saying.  My parents worked harder than most people I know, but given the circumstances they were put into it was impossible for them to move beyond what they inherited. The farm my grandparents owned had five bad years in a row.  They had to sell or lose everything. When they sold it left my dad as a farm hand with no education and no training beyond the life he knew of farming.  

I believed I could do more- I could be more.  Even believing that I still thought small.  I only got a technical degree rather than a bachelor’s degree.  It served me well, but it too had a ceiling.  I hope my children have seen me work hard for my education and I have given them more room to grow than what I was given- just as my parents did for me.  If they take advantage of the soil I have given them they will grow bigger and stronger than I did.

Writing Prompt:

Reflect on your own personal development in regards to self-reliance.

 

The church teaches that self-reliance involves six facets of a balanced life:

 

1- Education

2- Health

3- Employment

4- Family home production and storage

5- Family finances

6- Spiritual strength.

 

In 2020 we had the opportunity to really evaluate how we were doing in each of these areas.  I have never been more grateful that my husband and I listened to a prophets voice than I did last year.  Even though we are not perfect in any of these 6 areas, we were blessed beyond measure and realized how the Lord doubles our efforts when we do our best.  Despite store shelves being bare and everyday necessities, like toilet paper, being hard to get we never went without.  I believe it wasn’t because we had a perfect supply, rather it was our self-reliance efforts were multiplied because we had earnestly put time and energy into doing all that we could and God made up for the rest.  This experience has taught me that if I continue to do my best, the Lord will always bless our efforts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: What is Impact Investing